Thursday, July 18, 2019

BBC 2019: Jacob Away from Home

This week marked the 1/2 way point of summer and of BBC.  This week the kids made the toy Jacob's ladder.  I MUST simplify this craft if I ever do it again!!!!  Yes, it was difficult.  I am hoping all the kid ladder's work, but came home with "extra" boards.  (And that is not a good sign). 

Most of the kids played Tenzie this week instead of using the Lego bag.  I love Tenzie.  It is easy to play and I can easily adapt it for younger and older kids. 

For the weekly challenge, I gave two teams a white board with the same line drawn on it.  Each person had to add a line to the drawing.  When the teams were finished they handed me the boards.  We then talked about how the drawings were very different from each other AND different from how they began.  This lead into the discussion about 2 Corinthians 5:17.  To practice the verse, we played a game that the kids begged to do again!  I divided the large white board into seven sections.  On each section, I wrote "only the boys", "only the girls", "only brown eyes," etc.  Then a kid got a suction ball to throw at the board.  Whatever section the ball stuck to, those were the people who had to stand and say the verse. 

Our Bible Lesson focused on Jacob while he was away from home.  We looked at how God was changing him from Jacob: the grabber/ thief/deceiver into Israel: prince of God.  I asked them "Is God changing you from a sinner into a saint?"  The first step in becoming a saint is to believe that Jesus died for you.  Then live in obedience to God. 

Because this was such a HOT week, we played a number of water relays.  We concluded with a yearly favorite: Left, Right, Self.  We pass a die around while we say the Bible Verse.  Whoever is left holding the die, rolls it, then dumps a cup of water where the die tells them. 

And then it was time to go home. 

Last week's newspaper had an opinion poll.  Twenty-seven kids answered it to earn 5 Bible Bucks.  "In your opinion, who should have gotten the blessing and birthright:  Jacob or Esau?"  Twenty-two said Esau, while only 5 said Jacob.  Britney said, "In my opinion, neither should get it, but if I had to choose I would choose Esau."  Brynn said, "Jacob because he obeyed his mom."  Lilly said, "Jacob because he made the family food."  Kathryn said, "Esau should have gotten the blessing because Jacob lied." 






No comments:

Post a Comment